Madison Co. Fire Depart. gives public safety tips during Fire Prevention Week


JACKSON, TN (WNBJ) - This week is Fire Prevention Week. It is a week spent educating children and adults on how to stay safe in case of a fire.


According to the National Fire Protection Association, this awareness week was established after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 that caused devastating damage killing more than 250 people.


In 1925, President Calvin Coolidge declared Fire Prevention Week a national observance, making it the longest-running public health observance in the country.


During the week, the Madison County Fire Department wants to provide lifesaving tips to the public in an effort to decrease casualties caused by fires.


“Fall is a busy thing in the kitchen. Cooking is the number one cause of fires in the home. Never leave your kitchen unintended. If you have a fire on the stove, safety turn off the burner and put a lid over the pan,” said Anna Kate Craig, the Community Risk Reduction Coordinator with the Madison County Fire Depart.


On Tuesday, the Madison County Fire Department gave another fire prevention tip on smoke alarms for the home.


“A smoke alarm is present in the home to ensure that you know when a fire has broken out. Test your smoke alarms once a month to ensure the batteries are still good. When the alarm sounds make sure to get out, stay out, and call 911. Never re-enter the building until a firefighter has checked and cleared the scene," said Craig.




On Thursday, the Madison Co. Fire Department informing the public to always keep matches away from children.


“400 home fires a week are caused by children playing with matches. Pre-K and kindergarten being the top ages for death. Keep lighters and matches in a hard-to-reach space and teach children the importance of not playing with matches and letting an adult know if they find them laying around,” said Craig.


For the final tip of the week, the Madison Co. Fire Department wants to inform the community about Carbon Monoxide poisoning.


“Nearly 50,000 die of Carbon Monoxide poisoning each year. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless colorless gas that can be present in the home. Especially, during power outages or during cold weather when we are using alternative heating sources. Install a Carbon Monoxide detector outside of each sleeping area and test them regularly,” said Craig.



The Madison County Fire Department will be providing fire prevention tips all week long to educate the public on fire safety.

Toggle Closed Captions on/off through the YouTube video player settings

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square